Potions, soups, and milk need to stack to 4
There are a few consumables in this game that only stack to 1: potions, soups & stews, and milk buckets. My sense is that because of this, these items are sorely underutilized in survival, especially since inventory space is always at a premium.
To fix this, I would start with a few changes to Milk, in order to make its mechanics more consistent with potions:
- Make Milk buckets placeable in Cauldrons, just like other liquids
- Add the Bottle of Milk, which is obtained by right-clicking a Cauldron of milk
- Move the effect-clearing functionality from Milk Buckets to Bottles of Milk
With that done, I would then make one simple change:
- Make all drinkable Potions (maybe splash and lingering ones too, if desired), all soups & stews, and Bottles of Milk stack to four.
Why four? I know it's a weird ask because it is unprecedented, but here's two reasons.
- It balances potions. One potion per inventory slot is too little, but 16 (which is what was tried in the experimental combat snapshots) would be too many. Stacking to 4 would mean a maximum of 32 minutes of status effects per inventory slot, which feels balanced to me.
- It parallels other stack sizes mathematically. Most items stack to 64, which is 43; snowballs, eggs, and ender pearls stack to 16, which is 42; and anything with durability stacks to 1, which equals 40. Stacking to 4 would equal 41, which fits right in.
Thank you very much for reading my idea!
Please sign in to leave a comment.