Updated 10 July 2020
Latest updates to simplify things and get to the point.
We have created this frequently asked question page about the Feedback Website. If you haven't been here in a while, start here.
Note: Due to lots of interest in the Nether update and other issues, please be patient as our staff works as hard as they can to get your post through the queue as fast as possible. Thanks for understanding! How can you help make your feedback site awesome?
- Please do not file more than one post for your feedback! This will slow down things for everyone.
- A vote is the same thing as saying "I agree" or "good idea" or "yes"
- Be kind, civil, and constructive to each other. Don't presume everyone has the same game experience you do
- Similar topics should stick together
- Please don’t post about topics that have already been discussed and rejected
- Not all posts are filtered. That would be terrible. That said, a lot of things do fall in the queue. We appreciate your patience, as there are many more of you than there are of us. We are a very large and awesome community and we're all doing the best we can.
- Our moderation queue is designed to not just keep everyone safe from bad content, but to also keep duplicate posts on similar topics from overwhelming the site. Want an idea of what some of those are? Look here.
Thank you for your patience! We know many of you put thought and care into each post you make, and we work on using the same type of care in making sure your feedback site remains a safe and productive place to get your ideas heard from by developers.
Do you still have concerns or questions? Topics here cover:
We appreciate everyone's contribution to the feedback site. The Minecraft team continues to be inspired by your thoughtful and intelligent feedback, and remember, we are people just like you.
Why is my post "pending approval"?
Is it possible you've posted something that may run against the rules (like an email address or URL) or is so commonly discussed that there's probably a similar post out there? Maybe you should check and edit your post to see if it helps.
How long will it be there? It's taking a long time.
We have multiple people on staff, but any time the Microsoft offices are closed, or a huge snapshot or patch comes out, approval will slow down. Please don't ping staff for an update!
How come that "garbage post" got approved and mine is still waiting?
Not all posts are filtered, and not all posts get caught by our automatic spam filters. Please only report a post once.
You rejected my post for no reason/It sat in pending approval and disappeared, and I wasn't notified.
The feedback site gets thousands of posts every week. You are not guaranteed an email regarding your post being rejected. Posts that are typically rejected without additional notification:
- Spam. It should be obvious, but here we are.
- Posts containing previously rejected content. Any rejected content.
- Lists of ideas. We have been asked by our teams to make an effort to keep ideas to one main idea per post. It also helps people know exactly what they're discussing/voting for.
- Posts that contain links to any sites outside of the immediate Minecraft system (common examples include but are not limited to: Reddit, YouTube, Google Docs, Imgur, blogs, and all social media). This is for everyone's safety.
- Duplicates of highly popular topics. Look here. The best way to get something in-game is to contribute to existing discussions. We look for quality, not quantity!
- Posts over the current character limits (75 characters for the subject, 1500 body text/comments) - we use Bing's word counter and we count spaces.
- Off-topic thread comments. People work hard on their ideas and we should respect that by staying on topic.
- Posts that contain excessive amounts of images, images that are mostly text, or contain text that is also not within the post itself.
- Posts that are way too general - in order to take something to the team, or for the community to have something to discuss, it needs to be more than "we need more XYZ". Know exactly what you're asking for!
- Anything violating the post guidelines or personal information.
- Update/release date requests/bumps - when we have them, we'll share them!
Although we do our best to send emails to help you make better posts and be a great contributor, we are unable to guarantee your email provider will allow our mail to get through once it leaves our system and as such we cannot guarantee every poster or post will get a message.
My post wasn't similar! It's an entirely new way to do "X".
Please free to join discussions in progress on similar topics before starting a new thread on the same topic. We read and report on all the comments when we look at a post and keep them in mind because we know there may be more than one great way to implement an idea! For example, penguins.
I got a message but the "your post is rejected" message is so general.
Sorry! It's more of a "checklist" of things for you to keep in mind. We've had to standardize our messaging as our feedback community grows in order to even try to keep up.
Why can't I just make one post with ALL my ideas?
Keeping your ideas and feedback to one main idea per post so people know what they're voting for. Please feel free to repost your ideas once you've searched through and narrowed them down.
Why did you change the title/move my post?
If we've changed your post title or moved it, it is to make it easier for people to find. We're helping you get seen!
My post was on the site and then fell into the moderation queue. Why?
Did you edit it? Perhaps it got reported?
My post was on the site for a while and got removed. It had votes!
We are always making efforts to keep topics and general ideas together as much as possible.
Why don't you provide a link when you take something down?
Your feedback site staff will do the exact same searches we expect you to do. Also, people can remove their own posts. Links can vanish at any time.
I have a super long post and you removed it. Can you get my text back?
No, sorry. You may want to keep a copy somewhere.
I think your filter and search engine need improvement.
We know. But it's a work in progress, much like the website!
How do I post? How do I edit my post? Do you have posting tips that aren't covered in Creating Great Feedback?
Yes, more technical "nuts and bolts" questions about posting are covered here.
Our feedback site is based on a system of trust and accountability. You must use a Microsoft based email account in order to log in.
Why do I need an account?
Here are the things you can always do without having to log in:
- You can always use search, it is the box above "give feedback" on the right side of the screen.
- You can read posts!
- You can report a link or an issue with logging in.
You need to log in to do these things:
- In order to vote on an idea, you need an account.
- In order to make a comment on a feedback idea or post a new one, you must register.
What are the tags? Can I add them to my own post?
Short answer: No, these are added by the team. We're working on better tags but have some technical limits right now.
Other sites have fancy headers and a lot of other formatting options!
Due to community members repeatedly abusing this feature, we ended up removing them.
Where do I post world seeds?
This is the feedback site. There are other sites on the web available for this type of thing. Please do not post them here, they are considered spam.
This person posted some content that offends me/they copied my post/why did that get approved it's not appropriate.
Please use the report post button. Do not engage.
I didn't get any message about my post being removed!
Don't see your post? Check the list above for common reasons.
Do you have any volunteer community moderators?
Yes, we have volunteer community moderators and are working on getting more. They only have the ability to move posts and/or hide them for review by official staff members.
Can you tell me the team's thoughts on spam and suspensions/bans?
We have a no-tolerance policy on spam, personal attacks, attempts to get around suspensions, and severe breaks with the Posting Guidelines.
I need support! My game is broken!