Bookshelves need more variation
In this post, I want to discuss some ideas I have for reworking bookshelves in Minecraft. Admittedly, bookshelves are not broken or internally inconsistent at all – they work perfectly fine – but there is still room for improvement.
- Change the bookshelf recipe to an Empty Bookshelf recipe; that is, one that does not include books (for example, three wooden planks and six wooden slabs). Make the bookshelf craftable from all wood types, and introduce different textures accordingly.
- Turn bookshelves into block entities. Their GUI should have three item slots that can each hold one book – normal, enchanted, or written. The texture of the bookshelf should change according to the number of books inside it, much like a brewing stand.
- Each slot of naturally spawned bookshelves (in village libraries, stronghold libraries, and woodland mansions) should now have a chance to spawn empty, with a regular book, or with a randomly enchanted book.
These changes would have two major impacts.
- Builders would enjoy having the texture of bookshelves change in accordance with their contents and wood type, because it would make them fit better into a wider range of builds.
- Exploring would be positively affected. Finding a stronghold library would turn into a veritable treasure hunt for enchanted books as you rummage through each bookshelf with hopes of getting something amazing. Even village libraries would be more exciting!
Thank you very much for reading my idea!
Please sign in to leave a comment.