Recoil: A mechanic to balance and improve shields
Recoil is a double edged mechanic that affects both parties when someone blocks a melee attack. It forces a change in strategy in PvP and taking into account just the defender, it makes the shield a much more offensive tool that just blocking to no avail. However for Recoil to work to its best potential, axes should not automatically disable shields and critical hits should not bypass shields.
Recoil is divided into 2 types, Attack and Defence Recoil
- Prevents blocking, and is shown by a red shield icon on the opposite side or under the ‘cool down’ icon
- Happens when you block a melee attack or explosion, projectiles such as arrows do not inflict recoil
- Duration is equal to [Damage blocked] in ticks (doubled by axes)
- Advantages: A parry attack window against heavy attacks, both mob or player based OR an opportunity to heal from previous damage
- Prevents melee attacks, and is shown by a red sword icon inplace of the ‘cooldown’ icon
- Happens when you strike a shield with a melee attack
- Duration is equal to [Damage dealt - 4] in ticks (doubled by axes)
- Advantages: Ranged attacks that would normally be easily blocked can be launched during the Recoil duration, and if your quick you can also get an attack in before the other can block again OR weak attacks can be done in quick succession because of less recoil than the defender
Please sign in to leave a comment.