Bedrock Scripting API proposal.
Due to how Broadcast events work and are sent to each and every individual connected client unconditionally, it becomes a major issue when a BDS has a lot of connected clients not needing even one fourth of them as well as becoming a hazard for those servers when someone is sniffing packets or uses a hacking client with scripting support to provide the cheater with unfair information.
Using targeted broadcast events (Unicast? Multicast?) would allow the programmers to target one or more specific clients to send packets to (Note: needs some way to know if the packet was received).
Example use cases:
- A trading UI between two players or a loot / item pickup UI (likely in a RPG setup);
- Providing information outside the chat for server moderators who want to have a dedicated space to show notifications of help requests as well as which they are working on;
- A per-player notebook (great for jotting down notes / "what I was doing last before I had to get off", including when scripting allows implanting X / Y / Z / item data, last being a benefit for Command Block experts);
- In use with showing scoreboards, have it be player-specific information instead of force us to all see the same one (or use a 3rd-party server software);
- With world state, allow players to hide all other players not in their party / a staff helping them, in a lobby (helpful for YouTubers);
- Chat … especially chat … since sometimes server moderators must talk to those who have been "jailed" and not want others to be heard / eavesdrop (even will allow distance-based chat as well for large-world RPG servers);
- Many more that I know the community will create quickly or at a later time in the future.