The Minecraft potion system is redundant and inconsistent. Let’s fix that
I love potions because they add wonderful color and depth to Minecraft, but the process of making them can be rather messy. The corruption mechanic, in particular, is very unintuitive and inconsistently applied. Corrupting Night Vision yields Invisibility, which is also a positive status effect. Slowness can be created by corrupting Speed or Jump Boost. Weakness potions are brewed from Water Bottles, not Awkward Potions, which is unlike every other potion in the game. Why so many inconsistencies?
This kind of convoluted system may be intended, but on the off chance it isn't, then allow me to propose a simplification of the brewing system based entirely on Water Bottle + Nether Wart + Main Ingredient + Modifier(s) = Potion.
- The mechanic of potion corruption should be removed completely. Mundane and Thick potions should also be removed because they serve no purpose other than to waste the player's precious ingredients.
- The main ingredient for Instant Damage should now a Red Mushroom.
- The main ingredient for Slowness should now be a Brick.
- The main ingredient for Invisibility should now be a Tropical Fish.
- For consistency’s sake, Weakness potions should now require Nether Wart.
- For consistency’s sake, level II Slowness and Weakness potions should be brewable.
Thank you very much for reading my idea!
Please sign in to leave a comment.