Updated 1 July 2020
Latest updates for clarity and readability.
We have created this frequently asked question page about the Feedback Website. If you haven't been here in a while, start here.
Note: Due to lots of interest in the Nether update and other issues, please be patient as our staff works as hard as they can to get your post through the queue as fast as possible. We cannot give you a personal update on where your post is in the queues, as this slows down approvals for everyone, we get lots of posts daily/weekly, and we are not currently able to work 24/7 on approvals. Thanks for understanding! How can you help?
- Please do not file more than one post for your feedback! This will slow down things for everyone.
- A vote is the same thing as saying "I agree" or "good idea".
- Be kind, civil, and constructive to each other. Don't presume everyone has the same game experience you do.
- Please use the search. Remember your ideas can succeed when similar topics stick together.
- Please don’t post about topics that have already been discussed and rejected. This is considered spam and will lead to a loss of your posting privileges. Probably not what you were going for, right?
- Not all posts are filtered. That would be terrible. That said, a lot of things do fall in the queue. We appreciate your patience, as there are many more of you than there are of us. We are a very large and awesome community and we're all doing the best we can.
- Our moderation queue is designed to not just keep everyone safe from bad content, but to also keep duplicate topics from overwhelming the site. Want an idea of what some of those are? Look here.
Thank you for your patience! We know many of you put thought and care into each post you make, and we work on using the same type of care in making sure your feedback site remains a safe and productive place to get your ideas heard from by developers.
Do you still have concerns or questions? Topics here cover:
We appreciate everyone's contribution to the feedback site. The Minecraft team continues to be inspired by your thoughtful and intelligent feedback, and remember, we are people just like you.
What is "pending approval"?
Your post for some reason just has to be looked at by a person. Is it possible you've posted something that may run against the rules (like an email address or URL) or is so commonly discussed that there's probably a similar post out there? Maybe you should check and edit your post to see if it helps.
My post has been in "pending approval" for a day/two days/week/week+.
Any time the Microsoft offices are closed, or a huge snapshot or patch comes out, approval will slow down. We're not robots. Yes, we have multiple people on staff, but there are a lot of you and only so many staff!
How come that "garbage post" got approved and mine is still waiting?
Not all posts are filtered, and not all posts get caught by our automatic spam filters. You probably should just report the post and the team will get to it. Please only report a post once.
Why did you change the title/move my post?
If we've changed your post title or moved it, it is to make it easier for people to find. That is just part of our job. You can help people find your post by avoiding common words like "new" "idea" and "suggestion" in your titles! After all, all your posts should be new and original ideas, right? They also need to be your ideas, not other people's.
My post was on the site and then fell into the moderation queue. Where is it?
If a post falls into the non-spam moderation queue it is still looked at by staff (who are human) who read everything (we can only read so fast, though). Here's what typically happens next:
- If it passes the posting guidelines, the post is usually approved.
- Posts that are typically rejected without additional notification:
- Spam. It should be obvious, but here we are.
- Posts over the current character limits (75 characters for the subject, 1500 body text/comments) - we use Bing's word counter and we count spaces.
- Off-topic thread comments. People work hard on their ideas and we should respect that by staying on topic.
- Lists of ideas. We have been asked by our teams to make an effort to keep ideas to one main idea per post. It also helps people know exactly what they're discussing/voting for.
- Posts that contain excessive amounts of images, images that are mostly text, or contain text that is also not within the post itself. You need to put your text inside the post. Images should always be optional.
- Posts containing previously rejected content. Please be familiar with the site's contents so you can make awesome contributions!
- Posts that contain links to any sites outside of the immediate Minecraft system (common examples include but are not limited to: Reddit, YouTube, Google Docs, Imgur, blogs, and all social media). This is for everyone's safety.
- Anything violating the post guidelines or personal information.
- Update/release date requests/bumps - when we have them, we'll share them!
- If your post is not approved, you may receive a message from us with some helpful reasons why. This will be in an email that is automatically sent by the system to the same email you registered on the feedback site and is sent before we remove the post from view. Usually, this happens when your post already has a similar discussion already or it's just too vague. If you don't get a message from us it's likely because your email has flagged us as spam. Fortunately, this page covers the questions you may have about why it is no longer available for view.
NOTE: We typically process approvals/rejections in large batches.
The "your post is rejected" message is so general.
Sorry! It's more of a "checklist" of things for you to keep in mind. We've had to standardize our messaging as our feedback community grows in order to even try to keep up.
I didn't get an email.
We are unable to guarantee your email provider will allow our mail to get through once it leaves our system. Not all removed posts receive notifications (see the above list).
Why can't I just make one post with ALL my ideas?
Keeping your ideas and feedback to one main idea per post so people know what they're voting for. Please feel free to repost your ideas once you've searched through and narrowed them down.
My post was on the site for a while and got removed. It had votes!
As part of our ongoing cleanup of similar threads and clear duplicate ideas, we are making efforts to keep topics and general ideas together as much as possible. Sometimes we miss stuff the first time around. Votes aren't that hard to get with a little work!
My post wasn't a "duplicate"! Or similar! It's an entirely new way to do "X".
Please free to join discussions in progress on similar topics before starting a new thread on the same topic. We read and report on all the comments when we look at a post and keep them in mind because we know there may be more than one great way to implement an idea! For example, penguins.
Why don't you provide a link?
Your feedback site staff will do the exact same searches we expect you to do. We don't have any magic tools to find relevant threads that you don't have. It's all the same search engine. We just have been using it longer.
Most of the time, if you enter a word or two from your 'main point' or subject, you'll find a relevant discussion right away.
Also, people can remove their own posts. Links can vanish at any time. Just use search and know if we said there's a relevant thread, there was one at the time we said it.
I have a super long post and you removed it. Can you get my text back?
No, sorry. We see thousands of new posts weekly. You may want to keep a copy somewhere.
I think your filter and search engine need improvement.
We know. But it's a work in progress, much like the website!
How do I post? How do I edit my post? Do you have posting tips that aren't covered in Creating Great Feedback?
Yes, more technical "nuts and bolts" questions about posting are covered here.
Our feedback site is based on a system of trust and accountability. You must use a Microsoft based email account in order to log in.
Why do I need an account?
Here are the things you can always do without having to log in:
- You can always use search, it is the box above "give feedback" on the right side of the screen.
- You can read posts!
- You can report a link or an issue with logging in.
You need to log in to do these things:
- In order to vote on an idea, you need an account.
- In order to make a comment on a feedback idea or post a new one, you must register.
What are the tags? Can I add them to my own post?
Short answer: No, these are added by the team. We're working on better tags but have some technical limits right now.
Other sites have fancy headers and a lot of other formatting options!
Due to community members repeatedly abusing this feature, we ended up removing them.
Where do I post world seeds?
This is the feedback site. There are other sites on the web available for this type of thing. Please do not post them here, they are considered spam.
This person posted some content that offends me/they copied my post/why did that get approved it's not appropriate.
Please use the report post button. Do not engage.
I didn't get any message about my post being removed!
Don't see your post? We have made a lot of changes to ensure your posts are processed faster. You are still subscribed to every post you make and can receive notifications on replies through your email. If needed, the team will add a message to a post before removing it and you will receive it in your email. Please be sure to check your spam folder.
Do you have any volunteer community moderators?
Yes, we have volunteer community moderators and are working on getting more. They only have the ability to move posts and/or hide them for review by official staff members.
Can you tell me the team's thoughts on spam and suspensions/bans?
We have a no-tolerance policy on spam, personal attacks, attempts to get around suspensions, and severe breaks with the Posting Guidelines.
I need support! My game is broken!