Posted: 17 August 2023
Information on the Minecraft Preview and Beta:
- These work-in-progress versions can be unstable and may not be representative of final version quality
- Minecraft Preview is available on Xbox, Windows 10/11, and iOS devices. More information can be found at aka.ms/PreviewFAQ
- The beta is available on Android (Google Play). To join or leave the beta, see aka.ms/JoinMCBeta for detailed instructions.
We have some more fixes and tweaks ready for you in this week’s Minecraft Preview. Please report and upvote any bugs you encounter at bugs.mojang.com, and enjoy the update!
Update on 1.20.20
Thank you to all who participated in the 1.20.20.xx Minecraft Preview and Betas! We have a lot of exciting fixes and features prepared, but aren't quite ready to release these to everyone just yet. So, we are continuing with the 1.20.30.xx Preview and Betas, and when we are ready we'll have a combined update that is slightly larger than usual. If you want to read more about what is lined up you can read through all of the recent changelogs here. Thank you for your patience!
Features and Bug Fixes
Updated Play Screen
- The Play screen is being updated with improved navigation, responsive worlds components, and a new look and feel.
- The Friends tab and Realms tab are now separated, for clearer feature separation
- The Create New World flow and Create From Template flow are also separated for a clearer path into the game
- The work on the Play screen is still in progress since a couple of features are missing, but we would love to hear your feedback at aka.ms/MinecraftPlayScreens
- Calibrated Sculk Sensor's amethyst crystal now lights up alongside the rest of the block during its active phase (MCPE-168813) (MCPE-169953)
- Hanging Signs placed with commands now have the proper hitbox (MCPE-163456)
- "stained_hardened_clay" block is now split into unique instances, namely "white_terracotta", "orange_terracotta", "magenta_terracotta", "light_blue_terracotta", "yellow_terracotta", "lime_terracotta", "pink_terracotta", "gray_terracotta", "light_gray_terracotta", "cyan_terracotta", "purple_terracotta", "blue_terracotta", "brown_terracotta", "green_terracotta", "red_terracotta", and "black_terracotta"
- Commands will still work with "stained_hardened_clay", but "stained_hardened_clay" won't be suggested in the command prompt, rather the new names will
- Third person camera no longer phases through the lower part of Composter (MCPE-171213)
Stability and Performance
- Fixed a Bedrock Dedicated Servers memory leak while loading chunks (BDS-17527)
- Fixed ZL/ZR icons for Joy-Con and Switch Pro controller on Android
- Caret can be re-positioned in textfield by taps or mouse clicks (MCPE-131572)
- The “Pause menu” has been renamed to “Game menu” in the user interface
- Fixed layering issue causing the underground vignette effect to draw on top of all other HUD elements (MCPE-159217)
- Text-to-speech narrator will now read out the instruction text as well as the confirm button in the Safe Area menu
- Blocks that had an alias prior to being flattened can now be properly referenced in commands
- Changed "recipes unlock" game rule to be enabled by default. This means that recipe unlocking will be enabled by default when creating a new world but it can still be toggled off in the Advanced Settings. Existing worlds are not affected by this change.
- Crossbow loses durability when shooting, not when drawn (MCPE-46490)
The Editor and its corresponding API are in early development, and available for keyboard/mouse on Windows PC Bedrock Preview builds. Tag us on social channels withed #BedrockEditor.
Fixes this week:
- Minor updates to the Reload button to Tool mode for reloading scripts and refreshing the UI
- Added property collapsed to check if the pane is expanded or collapsed
- Added functions collapse and expand to control collapsed state
- Released the "minecraft:food" item component out of experimental in json formats 1.20.30 and higher
- Added "minecraft:interact_button" item component to enable and set text on the interact button in json formats 1.20.30 and above
Experimental Technical Features
- Fixed issue where prototype properties are not possible to redefine using defineProperty (MCPE-174073)
- Added getCanPlaceOn() and getCanDestroy()
- Added upper maximum limit of 255 to amount property - will throw if exceeds
- Added function getProperty(identifier: string): boolean | number | string | undefined- Gets an Entity Property
- Added function setProperty(identifier: string, value: boolean | number | string): void- Sets an Entity Property during the next tick
- Added function resetProperty(identifier: string): boolean | number | string;- Resets an Entity Property to its default value during the next tick and returns the default value
- Added event/property removeEvent
- Renamed event/property removedEvent to removeEvent
- Class EntityRemovedAfterEvent
- Renamed field removedEntity to removedEntityId: removedEntityId: string
- Added field typeId: string
- Added class EntityRemovedBeforeEvent
- Added field removedEntity: Entity
- Moved EquipmentSlot to 5.0 and changed enum values to uppercase
- Moved EntityEquippableComponent to 5.0
- setObjectiveAtDisplaySlot return type now correctly set to ScoreboardObjective or undefined
- getEntity return type now correctly set to Entity or undefined
- setWeather API can now take an optional duration parameter to set the weather duration
- Added read-only property heightRange: NumberRange- Gets min/max dimension height limits.
- Adding Player.isSleeping and Player.isEmoting
- Fixed lighting of items in hand in the Deferred Technical Preview
- Optimization and fixes for point light contributions