The most useful way to light up a place is a torch at the moment. However it would be really nice if the player could have a moving light source.
Another thing is that aside from mooshrooms there are no friendly non-realistic animal-mob.
Combining these thoughts, I came up with a bat that glows to make mining useful and maybe you can even tame them. So this would be how it works:
- This bat would either spawn in the nether or a normal bat would become one after dying to fire or lava.
- The bat would be tamable using glowstone dust and untamed bats gave off less light. The player could either set them to sit/sleep(on the roof) by right clicking or set them to follow. When sitting it wouldn't give off any light.
- The bat could have a limit so to balance it out, it would lose it's light gradually and need to sleep(possibly near a light source) for a while.
- It would have a bunch of health and wouldn't take fire or lava damage. Also it wouldn't defend the player.
- To fight large amount of lag it might create, the player could only be able to have one bat set to follow them.
How it looks: I imagine it as a transparent bat but has a light inside it (almost like a firefly but the light is inside of it).
I couldn't think of a good name but something like glowbat would be cool.
Why this is a good idea: As I said there's no supernatural passive animal-like mob. And it would be a useful and balanced light source because mobs would still spawn even though the player sees everything.
P.S. I understand a moving source of light can be hard to implement and clearly I know nothing about how it works but it's just an idea. You can interprete it as you wish. Also sorry if I've made any grammatical mistake, English is not my first language.
Please sign in to leave a comment.