Iron golems are slow but very strong.
They spawn very little in villages and often aren't able to defend the villagers well enough because of this and because of their speed.
I suggest making some changes to the stats of the iron golem and maybe even tweaking its AI to help it better protect the village under normal (non-raid) circumstances.
I would argue that a village should be able to sustain itself when the player is not actively protecting it (unless there's a raid ongoing).
So some changes that could be made to make this possible:
- increase the speed of the iron golem; Iron golems are very strong and can take down many foes at once, but they often can't get to the zombies in time in order to save the villagers that were stupid enough to stay outside at night. So I would suggest (if we intend to keep villagers stupid) to make iron golems walk faster. I would say that a pace about 1.2 to 1.5 times their current pace would be appropriate.
- increase iron golem spawn rates (based on amount of threats); We all know that this has to be done, but it shouldn't be overdone, so we should have enough iron golems so the villages stays allive and safe, but we don't want iron them to crowd the village or spawn indoors (which happens, might be an idea to fix that).
With these buffs should certainly also come some nerfs to the iron golem:
- decrease iron golem health; iron golems are very tough and can handle hordes of monsters easily, but them being so tough also makes it harder for us to make them spawn more often: they don't die unless there's too few of them…. but then adding one more would often already be too much. So scaling those golems down could be a viable option in order to make the increased spawn rate be acceptable.
- some more I can't come up with because I want to talk about AI now
Some changes to the AI could also be made in order to solve the iron-golem-issue:
- make iron golems spawned by villages only attack mobs that are hostile against villagers; This is one of the first things that comes to mind when I think about how slow iron golems are: they get distracted easily. It's nice that they attack skeletons, spiders, witches, etc., but that won't benefit the villagers, just the player. So I would suggest making player-spawned iron golems different in AI from villager-spawned ones.
- villager-spawned iron golems should only attack mobs that are inside the village; I often see iron golems wandering off to hunt down random zombies, skeletons and spiders outside the village, which of course does not help the village at all. So I would suggest that iron golems only attack mobs that are either in close proximity to meeting points, beds or working stations or mobs that have attacked (or are attacking) a villager.
I understand that not all of this could be added, but would like to see some of this maybe inspire mojang to solve the iron-golem-issue a more alternative way.
Please sign in to leave a comment.