As you travel up/down a river it would be fun if you encountered some cool "structures". These would be random at some point during a river's course; perhaps <50% chance to form one as it passes through a biome.
Each would have a limit on the width or river it could be placed on/in; too narrow and it would be invalid.
- Rapids (river's Y increases over the span, depth is reduced and several stones/boulders in it.)
- a weir (bottom of the river rises to a flat line of stone at the same height as the source, then the water's Y level behind it is increased by 1 to flow over it.)
- stepping-stones ('floating' stones crossing the river with 1 or 2 blocks of water between them)
- a biome specific bridge (different styles depending on biome.)
- a biome specific broken bridge (as above but does not meet in the middle and bits are missing)
- a biome specific overgrown bridge (as above, but the biome extends onto/over the broken bridge)
- a peir (wooden pier on one side jutting a couple of blocks into the water and onto the shore. It would spawn with a boat)
- a set of ferry piers (Wooden platforms on the bank to either side of the river with a tripwire hook and and string crossing the top of the river)
- an island (river splits and re-joins, with the island raising a few blocks in the Y. The island takes on a neighbouring biome.)
- a sand-bar (floor of river comes up to surface in a couple of places)
- a dam (Stone or worked stone where the river stops and the Y source moves up by 3-10 blocks behind it. The river floor remains at the same depth, the width would increase depending on topography up to 20 blocks wide. This is the only feature that would prevent a player from taking a boat from source to sea.)
- waterfalls (the Y source moves up by 3-10 blocks and the river floor moves up to be 1 block below that, then falls back to what it was. Adjacent topography may cap the fall size)
- ore seam (a patch of iron or gold ore is visible on the river bed. Perhaps a *really* rare chance for a single gem ore.)
- Villager mill (A water mill styled to match the specific biome. Only populated if it's close to a village.)
- Villager fishing shack (a small hut with bed and fishing treasure chest. peir outside it to fish off of.)
Please sign in to leave a comment.