Difficulty needs to be re-upped to the levels of at least 1.16 Bedrock, including boss fights with the Wither and the Dragon. As of 8c, even in Hard, the changes introduced with these snapshots to weapon speeds, reach and knockback made things too easy.
If we're getting a rebalance to difficulty for PVE, here's what I think needs to be included;
- Mobs need to be smarter and harder to kill to actually be an existential threat early on. Maybe they could jump gaps, have an increased movement speed and follow range, spawn more often with items and armor, sometimes spawn with iron armor, etc.
- Mobs should spawn in a closer radius to players, and should start spawning at 7PM rather than 8PM to counter skipping the night.
- Food needs to be harder to gather when you start a world. Maybe passive mob spawn rates or loot tables should be revised and rebalanced alongside mobs.
- Natural regeneration needs to slow down to 4 seconds when your hunger bar depletes below a certain threshold.
- Shields need to be balanced for both PVE and PVP. Attacking while crouching should disable shields again, it's too easy to use against mobs.
Easy and Normal are there for players who want to play more casually, but at its core, Minecraft was designed as simplistic but harsh survival, and works best when you have many options with little means, not the other way around. In its roots, Minecraft was about the threat of managing disparate ressources to survive the night. I'd like to see a return to form.
Please sign in to leave a comment.