I think that phantoms were a really cool addition to the game. Previously, we had lacked a cool flying mob, which meant that the sky's would feel a little bit more alive. However, I do feel that only allowing phantoms to spawn after 3 days of not sleeping, is a waste of this cool mob and that the atmosphere that the mob creates should be a thing every night. The current spawning mechanic also feels very awkward, where from out of nowhere, 4 phantoms appear above you.
Hence, I propose a few changes to the spawning mechanic:
- Phantoms will be able to spawn every night, just like any hostile mob, though they wouldn't be as common as zombies, skeletons etc (though not exactly rare).
- Phantoms will initially be neutral, meaning that they will only attack players, if the player first attacks the phantom.
- After 3 days of not sleeping, the player gets a status effect (which can't be removed drinking milk), that turns phantoms hostile towards that player, no matter if the player attacked the phantom of not.
- The status effect will also make phantoms more likely to spawn near that player.
- (Not part of my suggestion, but an interesting topic anyway): This could open the possibility for a new rare hostile mob that spawns at night. A "Nightmare", where his attack gives the status effect of not sleeping for 3 days with his attacks (and maybe makes you nauseuos?)
Please sign in to leave a comment.