Letting shulkers respawn is a frequent suggestion, but I had an idea that uses new mechanics and sets up new challenges for farming them manually OR automatically. I think it can be done in a datapack, but haven't tried because Mojang policy would prevent adopting the idea if I did.
It's based around the idea that endermites are a sort of larval form of shulkers, and goes like this:
1) Shulkers can shoot each other, giving the Levitation effect. This happens now but it doesn't do much.
2) When a shulker with Levitation shoots, there's a chance that the bullet will be a special, indicated by a cloud of purple particles around it.
3) If the special bullet hits a target or a wall, nothing happens. But if it's still in the air after (say) 2-3 seconds, it bursts and drops an endermite. The endermite would have (say) ten seconds of Slow Falling so it doesn't immediately fall to its death!
4) Shulkers will sometimes target endermites with their bullets.
5) An endermite that's hit by a shulker bullet turns into a shulker and teleports to a nearby surface, if any are available.
An approach like this would add a new twist to fighting shulkers in general - a slight chance to encounter spontaneous endermites. It wouldn't lead to accidental population explosions, because endermen kill endermites very quickly once they appear. Automatic farms would be possible, but would ne new techniques and designs, because there aren't any existing mobs that breed this way.
Please sign in to leave a comment.