Even though gold ore is one of 7 basic ore blocks naturally generated in the overworld, I have the feeling, that it wastes a lot of it's potential. As it is right now, gold is primarly used on survival mode, whilst it is almost not occuring on creative. To give more insight and have a better ground for discussion, let's take a look at the following (I hope complete) What-You-Can-Use-Gold-For list. In each point of the list I try to focus on one item/mechanic to give an in-depth analysis of the case.
1. gold ore:
- the block itself is OK - noone expects anything more from it than being a source of gold ingot on survival, and as a decorative block to put in mine-themed builds on creative.
- What could be changed however are the rules regarding ore generation. One idea is to increase the spawn rate of gold ores in abandoned mines, and maybe create some exclusive gold-mining sites in the mines.
- Another idea is to have gold ores generated in a form of long, thin veins in the ground rather than a compressed cluster like other ores. It would give them a more natural feel, and could easily enchance the underground landscape. Implementing this small change should be relatively easy.
- Inspired by western movies, the spawn rate on desserts/preria-type-bioms could also be increased. What's more, maybe a new gold ore in sandstone block??? Definitely would be cool to discover a gold vein cutting the wall of a secluded mountain on the desert.
- Riverbed with gold ore, cuz why not :)
2. gold ingot:
- even though it is highly valued in real life, it's value in MC is rather low. As a currency unit, in 1.14 3 gold ingots can be traded for 1 emerald($) with villager. Taking into account trades like 7$ for 1 item frame seems a little bit unresonable (although we could say, that "villagers don't value gold because it's useless for them").
- An idea to make things interesting is to make a "gold ingot stack" block, the one that would look like any well known cliche' pallet of gold in some vault.
- A new system of jewelery could be implemented (that could be something really big). The jewelery would be basically a golden bracelet, that could be additionally crafted with other materials. Each of those could have different effects and cost depending on the additional compound used:
- redstone - increased minig speed, but also increased hunger
- lapis lazuli - increase enchanting luck, but eat more XP
- diamond - increase ATK for hunger
- full gold - increase attack speed for hunger
- iron - increase DEF for hunger
- ender pearl - could show the direction of saved location (like waypoint).
- dyes - only for looks, or some redstone use as keys for iron doors? maybe rings could be engraved with some short text?
- ender eye - hint towards closest generated structure(mine/village/dungeon/etc.) or working as normal ender eye but instead of throwing - glow if direction is correct (bracelet displayed in HUD same as clock)
- glowstone - small radar giving all entities in certain smal radius a glow effect or something like poor version of night vision
- nether star - harmful potions immunity ? or craft bracelet with star + [redstone/diamond/iron/gold/lapis etc.]
-watch - to display time HUD in the corner(simmilar to the way the potion effect is displayed).
- gold ingot added to normal weapons could increase their speed. For example goden pickaxe + goden ingots = pickaxe with golden thingys that is 5% faster or smth.
3. gold armor and gold tools:
- Golden armor is currently used mostly by... mobs... so they won't burn in the sunlight... Golden armor has durability ~2x worse than iron, where iron grants better protection. Only thing good about golden armor is the enchantability, but all of it is useless due to the durability.
- First idea is to make golden armor look more fancy. It should be able to be imbued with crystals and have a red cape that can be collored as banner.
- Other idea is to add the ability of imbuing other armors with gold. For example gold imbued iron armor would have it's stats pumped up by 5% or something simmilar.
- Going back to looking fancy - gold as a decorative material could be used to enchance the look of other armors!
- Now for the tools. Golden tools are the fastest, but their durability is so bad, that the only time they are almost never crafted. The same ideas as in armor apply here. gold imbued tools would be faster
- Why should I enchant my golden pick for Fortune III, while I can have 47x(!) times more durable diamond pickaxe with it ?
- to make it more balanced, tools and armor imbued with gold could loose some of their durability ( due to gold being a soft metal etc. etc.), but not by critical amounts (e.q 3%)
4. gold nugget:
- would be cool, if gold nugget could be acquired from fishing, or by clicking with a wooden bowl on a water stream in river/mesa/desert/etc. biomes
- it's usage in alchemy is OK, nothing to change here
- (BIG!) as a felow redstoner, one genious feature would be to use gold nugets to make redstone contraptions faster. In real life we have golden coated pins, and we could introduce it into MC. Imagine hopper upgraded with gold, with 2x the speed, or repeater with gold coated pins having 0.5 tick delay (idk about that, it could also break the redstone, but we had once super fast comparators, so why not). redstone components that could be made faster: hopper(2x faster), dropper(faster reaction), repeater(smaller delays), comparator(smaller deays), torch(faster reaction, not overheating), buttons and pressure plates(smallerrs push-down duration?), redstone dust (having 2x lower power falloff), piston(2x faster retract/expand time?), redstone lamp(instant state change, same as trapdoor)
- only way to place the clock is to put it in an item frame(ugly). What could be added instead, is the clock block, behaving like sign.
- clock has also enormous redstone potential. A timer component could be added that could generate a redstone signal with specified ON and OFF duration in ticks, limited to, lets say 24k minecraft ticks(same as mc day)
- Gold block and golden plate are now the only ways to give something a "golden feel". What would be cool, is to add more variations of golden blocks, such as slabs, stairs, fences. Baroque and Oriental type builds would benefit if things like golden frames and details woud be added.
- Maybe a "gold coating" could be also added to the game ? like if you click a block with gold, then a fancy shaped gold coating appears.
- Also golden picture frames and golden item frames, for more dignified look. Please.
Please sign in to leave a comment.