The Hermit—A New (Aquatic) Spider Variant
Over the past few updates, mobs such as skeletons and (especially) zombies have gotten a fair amount of variants. There are Husks, Strays, Drowned, Wither Skeletons—all in addition to the base Zombie and Skeleton.
This variants give a massive edge to enchantments such as Smite and overall lead to a lesser representation of the other mobs in the game.
To help alleviate this issue, I propose the Hermit—a spider variant that could add a bit of variety to the game’s mobs.
Some concept art: https://imgur.com/a/CNrFxnf
Spawning and General Information:
* Hermits spawn on the ground under ocean biomes and occasionally on beaches.
* Hermits themselves have 15 health. However, they have a massive defense boost from their shell, which can only be removed with a pickaxe.
* They have two attacks (of sorts), one of which is a more passive attack.
* While their shell is present, they are very slow (in return for their massive amounts of defense). They become much faster (but much more vulnerable) when it is removed.
* They are weak to Bane of Arthropods.
Hermits have two attacks.
1. They can grab the player with one of their massive claws. This deals a medium amount of damage and traps the player in place. It also allows the Hermit to repeatedly deal low damage to the player.
2. Just by touching the Hermit’s shell, the player is dealt damage (due to its spikes, as shown in the image).
Just like Spiders, Hermits are able to climb walls. However, they have a couple other abilities:
1. While underwater, Hermits can jump a moderate vertical distance. This allows them to possibly reach a player that is not close to the sea floor. They can not do this on land.
2. Hermits, despite being aquatic, can venture on land. However, they will return to either the beach or ocean before they go too far, meaning they can be easily escaped so long as the player goes beyond an ocean or beach.
Hermits will drop their shell (if not having been mined off already) and rarely a Claw.
This claw can be either placed or attacked with. When placed, it can be activated w/ a Redstone signal to close, hurting anything within it in the process.
When used as a weapon, it does moderate damage and continues to do very low damage (in the range of 1-2 health). However, it does keep the enemy close to the player, allowing said enemy to deal more damage.
* Sometimes, empty shells will spawn on the ocean floor. Hermits will sometimes disguise themselves as being empty.
* Similarly, shell-less Hermits can also spawn, being much more vulnerable but much faster. They will not drop a shell.
* Shells can be mined (either when empty or off of a Hermit) and used as decoration/traps (maybe it could be craftable into a special building material? I don’t know).
Please sign in to leave a comment.