Us builders know how annoying it can be to have to place torches or some form of lighting everywhere just to prevent mobs from spawning and/or make things bright. Sometimes, it just looks better to not embed redstone lamps on every floor and wall, so I suggest a form of "upgraded torch" to be added to the game: shulker lanterns.
To prevent shulker lanterns from replacing torches or other means of lighting, this has to be rare. The crafting recipe would be similar to that of shulker boxes, simply replacing the chest slot with an end crystal.
1. When the lantern is placed, it appears similar to a regular shulker, but right clicking it will open it like a shulker box and shine its light. Clicking it again will close it, reducing its light.
2. When opened, the lantern shines light of 45 block radius (30 block radius of level-15 light) and just 15 when closed (same as glowstones). I guess devs can balance this out if needed.
3. Also, separate from lighting, this lantern would prevent any hostile mobs from naturally spawning within 60 block radius, no matter the light level. I suggest mob spawners to be an exception to this, mainly for adventure map makers and spawner mobs farms. I'm also guessing that devs can balance this out if needed.
4. Just like shulker boxes, these lanterns can be colored.
5. Dungeon-specific mobs (such as guardians) are also unaffected by these blocks.
Shulker lanterns should sometimes naturally generate in villages to prevent zombies from effortlessly killing/infecting all the villagers. There should only be one lantern at maximum per village, so that some zombies would still be able to raid it. This means the players must still build a defensive wall around the villages, since the lanterns are just there to prevent villager genocide.
Please sign in to leave a comment.