This is the hub post for the Mythos Dimension. It contains all the most important base information and links to the detailed posts for each of the components that make up a new dimension. There are a few details that are important in my mind to this dimension, but a lot of others are things that I came up with to flesh things out. If you don't like any specific aspect, please do bring it up and I'll be glad to talk about it.
- Above-ground magical forest with large, detailed, and colorful trees
- Below ground extensive caverns with interesting things to find
- New magic system
- A tragic past to be uncovered
- New mobs and items
Important Lore: (Full lore can be found here)
- Original intelligent inhabitants: Tree Folk, Earth Folk, Water Folk, and Sky Folk. Only Tree Folk remain.
- Dark magic corrupted these intelligent races. Tree Folk that were affected turned into Dryads. Earth Folk became Stone Elementals. Water Folk are now Mermaids, but despite their name are hostile and monstrous. Sky Folk became Wyverns.
- Good Witches of the Tree Folk protected as many of their kin as they could and then defeated the source of the dark magic, but never returned.
- The good witches ended up in the overworld and bred with the local inhabitants to make the villager race.
- The name is appropriate because stories about Mythos is the mythos of the villagers.
How difficult to make it depends a lot on when it should be accessible in terms of progression, and I could see this dimension being as or more available than the Nether or severely end-game.
Here are some thoughts:
- Should include at least one emerald block (the original good witches sensed that emeralds were important, and that’s why villagers use it as currency to this day)
- Could include a variety of logs, or just be mostly made of logs
- Might include an item from the Nether or End to force Mythos’ place in the progression
There is only one portal location in Mythos, much like The End. However, unlike The End, you return to the location of the portal you entered through.
I have three structures planned. There could be more, but I don't think there should be fewer. I want this dimension to feel like you should be exploring it to find the cool things, and structures are cool things to be found.
I have a decently well thought out magic system, but I welcome other ideas. I specifically tried to do a magic system that wouldn't require a GUI or instruction book to guide you through it but would still be complex enough to have a level of progression and would lead to new and interesting effects being available.
All mobs in this dimension take severely reduced damage from overworld weapons, and some are entirely immune. Those that are immune are neutral until you take some action to anger them or are limited to specific places, and so can be avoided until you are properly geared up. Normal armor and overworld enchantments also have reduced effectiveness, and enchantments that deal damage do no damage against mobs that are immune to overworld weapons. None of the mobs here burn in sunlight, but all of the inherently hostile ones follow the normal darkness spawning mechanics.
Overworld weapons are fully effective once they have been combined with a spell. However, spells can only be applied to the appropriate tier of item. As such, you need to unlock a diamond tier spell before you can use your diamond gear.
All mobs in this dimension (other than the dimension-hopping endermen) are unique in some way. Some may be repurposed models, but they should not be identical to an existing mob.
Humanoid Mobs (link)
Other Mobs (link)
Because the other dimensions each have their own boss (End = Dragon, Nether = Wither), it would make sense for this dimension to also have a boss. My friend and I came up with a boss idea based on the lore, but it is not a concrete idea.
The boss of this dimension is called The Darkness. It is the concentrated manifestation of the dark magic that remains in this dimension. It should have effects that can only be countered by having items form each magic category and can only be countered fully by diamond tier. So you can fight it best only once you have fully unlocked the spell system. I don’t know what kind of thing it should drop or what benefit it should have, but something that powerful is probably best decided by the devs anyway.
Please sign in to leave a comment.