A dimension deep underwater, which can be accessed by placing 12 blocks (Abyss portal blocks) in the arrangement of the end portal, and these blocks can be crafted by placing coral blocks around a nautilus shell in a crafting table. It's lit by right-clicking the frame with a heart of the sea. This gives more reason to explore the ocean in 1.13. The portal must be placed underwater. Going through the portal will create a new portal in the abyss dimension at 255.
The Nether has a feature where for every block you travel in the nether, you have traveled 8 in the overworld. In the Abyss, this ratio would be 1:16, compared to 1:8. This would make going through the abyss more efficient, however it's far more dangerous.
There is also a new boss in the ocean called the Kraken. It would be a super-sized, and far more powerful, version of Mob A from Minecon Earth. It can be summoned with a Kraken doll, which is 1 diamond in the middle of the crafting grid, and a leather in each of the corners. When defeated, it drops 10-15 Kraken leather. This can be combined with glass to make a Kraken helmet, and also can be used to make other diving items. Defeating the Kraken would make it possible to breathe underwater in the Abyss.
The Kraken Helmet would give you water vision, which is similar to Night Vision, but it only works underwater. This status effect would make visibility much better underwater. You can also absorb the energy of a guardian's beam, and it can later be released to allow for faster swimming and thorns, and more energy makes the effect last longer^.
If you go into the abyss without defeating the Kraken, you lose your breath twice as fast, and going into air pockets will hurt you. Using water-breathing potions will only slow the loss of air, and would make loss of air 4x slower.
- Giant Squid - The giant squid is like its peaceful overworld counterparts, except they are 3x bigger, much faster, and suck you towards them. When you are drawn all the way into its beak, it deals 2 damage per second, and severely damages your armor. After you are hit once by it, you have 7 seconds before it uses its suction again.
- Slimefish - Like slimes, when it's killed, it will split into smaller variants of itself. It's a neutral creature. Like dolphins and zombie pigmen, if you anger one, you anger them all. Upon death, it drops aquatic gel. Aquatic gel can be used to make slime torches (See items section below).
- Shock Eel - A 5-block long eel, and it can tell where you are from 60 blocks away. When you hit it, it gets a thorns effect and hits you back. However, the damage dealt to you depends on what armor you're wearing. Iron and chainmail are the most vulnerable, gold is 2nd to that, diamond is in 3rd, leather is 2nd to most resistant, and Kraken Armor & Pearl Armor completely negate all shock damage. They only spawn around Watery Graves and Aquatic Labyrinths (See structures section below).
- Anglerfish - Like anglerfish in real life, they have a light in front of their face. They charge at you when they get within 20 blocks of you, so be sure to stay away from its ghostly, white glow. Deals 7 damage upon contact. Drops an angler's light with a 1% drop rate (See items section below).
- Hammerhead Shark - In the shape of a hammerhead shark. Circles around you, and from time to time, charges towards you to deal 8 damage. The hit ignores 50% of all your armor. If you had a shield out, it will disarm it for a while (Similar to an illager hitting your shield with an axe). Drops shark teeth, which can be used to make shark tooth arrows (See items section below).
- Giant Nautilus - Behaves like Nautili in real life. Is a passive mob when spawned, but becomes crazy after 1 minute of being alive. It will try to hurt anything it sees after going crazy, and it drops a nautilus shell upon death. Spawns only in Aquatic Labyrinths (See structures section below).
- Slime Torch - Can be placed underwater, and provides the same light levels as the torch. Ignores the fact that water absorbs some light, and creates light levels as if it's in air.
- Angler's Light - Brew in brewing stand with thick potion. Creates Glowing Liquid.
- Glowing Liquid - Can be used on a block to make it light up. Can also be applied with a dispenser. Combine with Aquatic Gel to make the Glowing Liquid last twice as long. Combine with Dragon's Breath to make it spread to blocks around it in a 3-block radius. Combine with Fermented Spider Eye in Brewing Stand to make Essence of Darkness.
- Essence of Darkness - Has the opposite effect of Glowing Liquid, and can also be combined with Aquatic Gel or Dragon's Breath to lengthen/stengthen its effects.
- Shark Tooth Arrow - Drops down twice as fast when shot in the air, however, flies straight in the water with very little drop-off. Can be combined with Aquatic Gel and Flint and Steel to create an arrow of Greek Fire.
- Arrow of Greek Fire - Applies a fire effect that cannot be extinguished. The fire lasts 10 seconds. But beware - it can also light fires on the ground that spread twice as fast and cannot be extinguished by the player. The best option is to contain this kind of fire and wait for it to go out.
- Kraken Armor Set* - Same durability and defense as iron armor, but it's proof to shock eel damage. The helmet gives you water vision. You can absorb the energy of a guardian's beam, and it can later be released to allow for faster swimming and thorns, and more energy makes the effect last longer
- Pearl Armor Set^ - Each piece of armor gives you 2 more defense than diamond. It's also resistant to shock eel damage. This armor set absorbs guardian energy beams like the Kraken armor set, but it absorbs 1.5x more energy, and its effects, once the energy is released, is 2x more effective than with Kraken armor.
- Pearl Sword^^ - 9 attack damage. Faster than the diamond sword.
- Pearl Axe^^ - 11 attack damage. Faster than diamond axe, but slower than diamond sword.
- Pearl Pickaxe^^ - Mines 1.5x faster than diamond pickaxe, 2x more durable than diamond pickaxe.
- Pearl Shovel^^ - Faster mining than diamond shovel, also 2x more durable.
- Pearl Hoe (Scythe)^^ - 7 attack damage. Faster than Pearl Sword. Acts like a hoe too. 2x more durable than diamond hoe.
- Pearl Bow^^ - Shoots all arrows with 2x less drop and 2x more speed. Has 3x the durability of a normal bow.
- Pearl Fishing Rod^^ - Better loot from fishing. Affected by potions of luck. 2x more durable than normal fishing rod.
- Pearl Dust - An alternative to redstone, it can go up to 20 blocks in signal strength. It has alternative torches, repeaters, comparators, powering blocks (like the redstone block), observers, etc. It would also have a power converter - this would look like a comparator, and you can right-click it for modes: redstone to pearl dust, and vice versa. To add on to this, pearl dust can be placed underwater. The placed pearl dust would have a shimmering combination of colors all across the spectrum.
- Watery Grave - Buried under the floors of the Abyss. Has Drowned and Skeleton Spawners inside. Shock Eels are the only other mob that can spawn around them. Contains Abyss and Ocean-related loot.
- Aquatic Labyrinth - A randomly generated maze, deep down on the floor of the Abyss. Shock Eels spawn all throughout the Labyrinth for you to fight. At the center is a colossal Seashell-shaped structure, which contains multiple spawners for Crazy Giant Nautili. Inside, loot from all the different dimensions can be found - if you're lucky, you may even get a shulker shell! A unique item can only be found here - pearls. They can be used to make tools and armor that are better that diamond (see items section above).
The generation of the abyss:
Empty at the top, Floating islands with ruins in the middle, open bottom area with the unique structures, pillars from ceiling to floor spread around the abyss, uses new plants from 1.13. Uses abyssal gravel & sedimentary stone as main blocks. Has bedrock ceiling & floor, like the nether. Portal generated at the ceiling.
Mobs: Kraken, Giant Squid, Slimefish, Shock Eel, Anglerfish, Hammerhead Shark, Giant Nautilus
Mob/Chest Loot: Kraken Leather, Aquatic Gel, Angler's Light, Shark Tooth, Pearl
Items (Crafted): Slime Torch, Glowing Liquid, Essence of Darkness, Shark Tooth Arrow, Arrow of Greek Fire, Kraken Armor set, Pearl Armor set, Pearl Tools & Weapons, Pearl Dust (As an alternative to redstone)
Blocks: Abyss Portal Block, Abyssal Gravel, Sedimentary Stone
Structures: Watery Grave, Aquatic Labyrinth
New Systems: Defeat Kraken to breathe underwater, Water Vision effect from Kraken Leather Helmet, Items for lighting up and darkening areas, more underwater light sources, lose breath 2x as fast in the Abyss, suffocate in air in the Abyss before defeating Kraken.
1:16 block travel rate in the Abyss.
Goal: To make a new biome that is challenging, rewarding, and worth exploring.
Mojang, if you have read this, please consider adding this to the game. All feedback on this idea is welcome, and I will add most comments and suggestions. Hopefully, we can get a solid idea with contributions from everyone. Thanks!
^ : Guardian Energy Absorption/Curbing suggested by DreadEmperor355
^^ : Better pearl tool/armor durability and abilities suggested by Charles Hillman and DreadEmperor355
Please sign in to leave a comment.