Along with the jungle's lonely resident, the ocelot, how about a bigger, hungrier cat?
Neutral by day, hostile by night, panthers could hunt mobs and players by stealth as in real life.
- Two variants: they could come spotted (leopards), or all black (panthers)
- Hunting: at night, they could routinely pathfind behind blocks outside mobs' detection ranges, and will go into a crouch mode (kind of like the player's sneaking). While crouching, the panther could be undetectable within a closer range and will be able to get closer to prey (~8 blocks), then at the right time they could break into a sprint and pounce. (extra: if the panther has a name tag, the tag will momentarily disappear or become fainter while crouching, like a player's name while crouching)
- Prey: cows, sheep, and pigs
- Hunting Timer: to prevent panthers from quickly killing every mob at night, they could have some sort of hunger bar or countdown in between hunting behavior, so they only attack mobs to periodically satiate their "hunger".
- During the day, they won't hunt for mobs or players and will usually climb and rest in trees.
- Neutral Behavior: while neutral (during the day), they could behave much like polar bears: attacking if hurt by the player or other mob, or if the player gets too close to any panther cubs they have with them. However, they'll also become hostile if the player stays too long near an adult.
- Cub Behavior: leopard/panther cubs could attack chickens, silverfish, and baby turtles (like cats and wolves) day and night, but not anything larger. Cubs could also play and wrestle with each other.
Please sign in to leave a comment.