Leather mechanics in Minecraft are poorly balanced right now. Leather armor is both very difficult to get and almost totally useless, for example, and rabbit pelts are some of the most worthless items in the game by themselves. To fix this, I propose the following changes to leather in Minecraft.
- Change mob drops for leather. Rabbits, Llamas, Cows, and Horses should now drop 0-1 Rabbit Pelt, 0-1 Llama Hide, 0-1 Cowhide, and 0-1 Horsehide, respectively. These drop rates should be unaffected by Looting.
- Make Rabbit Pelt, Llama Hide, Cowhide, and Horsehide craftable into 1, 3, 4, and 5 Leather, respectively. (Flint could be added as an ingredient to each of these recipes, to simulate scraping the hides.) This Leather item would be the same Leather that we currently use to craft armor, books, item frames, etc.
Here’s how this would impact the game.
- Leather armor would become a viable option for early game survival Minecraft. To make a full set of leather armor, a player would now need to kill an average of only 12 cows, not 24.
- Rabbit Pelts would become useful as individual items, not just in sets of four.
- Late game leather farming should remain unaffected. The new craft and drop rates would balance out with the restriction on Looting.
Thank you very much for reading my idea!
Please sign in to leave a comment.