Chat about Java Edition here!

What do YOU think about the new textures?

We have a new category here- "Jappa's New Textures". This is where you can put all of your comments & feedback about the new default texture pack for Minecraft. You can also reply to this post if you want as well. Either way, we want your feedback! :)

221 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminMinecraftStaff (Community Managers, Minecraft.net) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

923 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • FieldOfArbol1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Personally, I'd like the devs to leave all the textures alone. That's not to say that all the revisions look awful, but with such a massive overhaul on all the skins, they're changing the whole "feel" of Minecraft. There's nothing wrong with the classic, recognizable, slightly comical look of Minecraft, which should not be lost.

I can understand changing the look of certain blocks with the objective of making them more usable (take Diorite for example); I like that. But the overwhelming negative is that they're giving almost everything a new look, taking textures that players know and love and changing them for no reason. Take diamond, for example. No-one had a problem with it and bam. I know that many proposed textures may not be implemented, which is a different problem, because anyone can tell the difference between real Minecraft sprites and blocks and these new ones. It's all pretty pointless... you're razing the consistency and feel of Minecraft, you're alienating old players, and anyone who likes these kinds of changes to the REAL Minecraft could just download or create a resource pack for the same or a better effect. In the end, "an inconsistent mixed bag of tweaks that overall is no better or worse than the original." If it ain't broke, don't try to "fix" it.

I know that it's not possible for you to completely save the visual appeal here. But please, only implement new textures that many players have shown real interest in, leaving everything else alone. A good idea would be to make all the changed textures into a resource pack that comes with the game, so everybody is happy, or at least make the real textures into a similar resource pack.

Off topic: In 1.13 they want to change the model for horses to look similar to other animals, and if you haven't yet seen, the new model is an abomination.
    Give negative feedback on this planned "improvement" before it's too late.

• UltraLuigi64 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the nether portal block should be red. The purple fits more with an End theme than a Nether theme.

• LargoBag2624951 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have not done a deep dive but, in version 2; love the leaves, like the crops but hate the precious material blocks. Please do not do that to the diamond, gold and emerald blocks. They look like colored drawings not precious materials.

• RecruitVeil4905 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

***I like the new textures but some of them don't flow really well with each other, like sand and sandstone, and cobblestone and stone. Alsoooo... the netherrack texture isn't connected from all sides. I noticed it in the screenshot and tried it out in-game and it looks funky. The texture is good but it's not quite connected. This is probably the most important thing I have to say so...
    ***^^^^^

Now for some actual suggestions/opinions:

1. I liked the original update design for obsidian where it actually looked like flowing lava turned to stone. That was cool and how obsidian should look. But maybe make it look less like the current designs and go with more flow-like texture. I think the community would appreciate that.

2. Awesome job on the crops. Maybe overhaul the cactus texture. It doesn't look like cactus at all. Maybe you could give it some yellows and change the sporadic spines.

3. Awesome job on the mossy cobble

4. Maybe give some more unique clothing to zombies. I saw you updated their clothes and it looks like it's wearing a vest or something now. It would be cool if they had more tattered clothing and make it similar to the zombie villagers. Perhaps a default grey vs sky blue

5. Awesome job on the skeleton

6. I feel like lava could use an update along with water. Maybe lava could look more like the magma block since lava cools when it touches air and try to make water look less flat. Perhaps add a wavelike flowing texture to water.

(7. This is my final suggestion, perhaps bring back the days where mobs could have several unique textures. I used to have a resource pack where mobs had like 4 variants of each other but still looked almost the same. To see that again would be super cool and add a lot.)

-Thanks for reading our suggestions and actually listening to the community. It's freaking sweet. If you do read this and agree that would be awesome (I read the guidelines after I wrote this...but I feel like these suggestions are too important to slim down, I apologize)

• JJgamer86 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like almost all the new textures except the items, they don't feel like they fit with everything else. Especially the apple, it looks strait out of pure bd craft.

And I think that glass would be 100% better if it connected.

Otherwise I think that the textures are really improving!

• Scalesmaker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sandstone blocks dont really make a nice one-piece wall with the the small border on top of the side texture. I think it would look better with the bottom texture on all sides (including the top). I would leave the double slab the same as replacement.

• Wolftopia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The glowstone dust should be made yellow again. Also, I think glowstone itself should be closer to the original texture.

• Wolftopia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since the newer texture for netherrack is essentially a red cobblestone, it looks weird and doesn't properly connect when it is placed down beause of the fact that netherrack is randomly rotated.

Also, personally I liked it more when it wasn't just a re-colored cobblestone; it was more interesting when it was more unique.

• GardenMage37296 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

La verdad me parece hasta correcto el cambio, no quiero ofender a nadie pero llevábamos mas de 5 años con estas texturas y necesitábamos un cambio.
    Que, que me parecen las texturas?
    -están bonitas, la verdad que me ha gustado el cambio, pero espero que mejoren mas cosas como las espadas o armaduras que siguen iguales.

• LadyCelestina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like version 1 for the gems and version 2 for the glass and Nether blocks. For the glass I would prefer if it would be adaptable like stairs where if you put multiple panes or glass blocks together the edging completely goes away. If you hover over it the edge can become visible if you need to break it.

• Naufal270 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the change, though, I'd like to list the blocks I think is better in their previous textures (in my opinion).

-Glowstone/Redstone Lamp (too dark)
    -Leaves (too leafy)
    -Diamond, Gold and Emerald Blocks (the squares make something else, the previous are more streamlined.)
    -Lapis (it's better smooth as many people use it in their builds)
    -Jack O'Lantern (too bright)

Other than that, the other textures are awesome! Keep up the good work!

• BlueSteelAU commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

now the plkain old trapdoor needs at least a handle as it looks out of place compared to the others

• Say III commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd also love to see the hay block without the "Royal Mail" red rubber bands, and with a more subtle bailing tie. (I like this because it'd mean we can use them for thatch roofs really nicely.)

• EmeraldPigz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So I just posted a comment, and then I went to read some other comments and I came up with something else.

I really like most of the new block textures. The real exceptions to this for me are:
    -Redstone Lamps when off (too brown)
    -Glowstone (also too brown)
    -Diamond Block (the old diamond was iconic)
    -Gold Block (the squares don't work)
    -Emerald Block (it was better originally)
    -Iron Block (too flat)

But what I really don't like is the ITEMS. In the inventory, most of the items that aren't blocks are too shiny and/or don't look like something that belongs in minecraft.

• EmeraldPigz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like Version 2 much better. I have a lot of suggestions, but the ones closer to the top of this post are stronger suggestions.

I think that diorite, andesite, and granite are much better, but the polished forms have too much of a defined border. In my opinion, the polished forms would be much better for building if they had a less distinct border.

I think that the texture for the baked potato looks too much like a hot dog.

The Version 2 valuable blocks (diamond, emerald, etc.) look much better than the version 1, but I think that they should all match each other more. I think that the valuable blocks should all have textures more similar to the Lapis Lazuli Block texture from way back in beta (I'm not sure what version it changed, but I know that the texture I'm thinking of existed in beta 1.4)

The newest netherrack texture is good, but I've always thought that netherrack should look more like normal stone (or cobblestone) since netherrack is basically nether stone.

The short fern texture looks weird to me, I think that either the part in the middle shouldn't stick up, or the other leaves shouldn't droop down.

I noticed that the grid pattern on the sides of dark prismarine don't line up with the grid on the top correctly.

I feel like the brown mushroom's stem is too tall compared to the top part of the mushroom.

This one isn't necessarily about the textures, but more about this aspect of minecraft in general. If pumpkin and melon textures are going to have stems, they should line up with the plant when grown from pumpkin/melon seeds.

I don't think that the obsidian texture on the enchantment table matches the texture for normal obsidian.

If there's one block that should be left as the old texture, it's bedrock. I feel like bedrock should stay as the black and white, static-like texture. I don't know why I feel like this, but somehow, it's fitting for the edges of the world.

I'm not sure if this was changed by the new textures, but red nether bricks are too glossy. They should be more muted like normal nether brick.

The spots on the bark on the top of the birch wood logs look weird. Either they're too dark or there are too many spots.

The top and bottom of prismarine bricks shouldn't have the same texture as the sides. It doesn't line up in a way that looks like any actual type of brick.

Iron doors shouldn't have a handle, because the point is that they can't be opened without redstone.

Other than these things, the textures are great! Keep up the good work!

• Tj Smeejay23 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Version 1 of the updated textures is better, except for netherrack. Version 2 netherrack looks better.

• zKampeR2003 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the magma block doesn't really get along with the netherack. they look like they are from 2 diff resource packs
    noneless, they are cool

← Previous 1 3 4 5 45 46

Feedback and Knowledge Base